Portfolio Delivery Advisor
Portfolio Delivery Advisor
Date: Jan 28, 2022
Location: Addis Ababa
Organization: African Union Commission — AUC
• Respect for Diversity and Team Work • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Sharing
Reports to: Director-General
Directorate/Department: Office of the Director-General
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P5
Contract Type: Regular
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Purpose of Job
Directs and manages the daily operations of the Director Generals Office in order to achieve the strategic objectives of the directorate and the AU’s overall goals.
a) Provides technical and intellectual support in the coordination of tasks within the office of the Director General and in relation to the operations and activities of the portfolio departments.
b) Elaborates and regularly updates activity dashboards related to portfolio of the Office of the Director General .
c) Identifies best practices and monitor effectiveness of the Office’s support to AU.
d) Contributes to the development of strategies to ensure coordination of activities of portfolio departments and implementation of a related business continuity plan
e) Supports the organization of thematic networks, consultations and meetings on cooperation, interdepartmental and inter-organizational relations.
f) Provides technical guidance on matters relating to system review and implementation project in area of specialization, as required.
g) Manages, supervises and provides the necessary training for employees within the Office of the Director General and ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
h) Designs strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of the activities of the Office of the Director General.
i) Maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member States and partner institutions in the execution of the mandate of the Office of the Director General.
j) Represents the organisation and communicates its position at conferences.
k) Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
l) Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
1. Reviews documents/communications/files received from the Chairperson/Deputy Chairperson/Commissioners and provides update to the Director General on same, while action is expected to be taken by respective portfolio department
2. Provides all necessary information to the Director General, to allow accurate and timely exchange with Commissioners/Chairperson/Deputy Chairperson as appropriate on status of files and their review update
3. Manages a centralized archives management system of the ODG, in relation to portfolio departments and their programmes.
4. Coordinates the office’s activities related to portfolio departments that are external to the Commission, and facilitates the organization of meetings addressing the particular subject/programme
5. Oversees the budget formulation and implementation procedure and processes of portfolio departments as well as autonomous offices and organs, and advises the Director General
6. Monitors and tracks progress in the delivery of the Commission’s annual work plan and performance targets;
7. Provides technical support to the Director General in determining annual performance targets for the Commission;
8. Provides technical support and advice to the Director General in the preparation of reports to the Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson on progress and challenges in the implementation of the annual work plan of portfolio departments;
9. Supports the Director General in his/her tasks of co-ordinating the preparation of the Chairperson of the Commission’s annual performance report for consideration by the Executive Council, reflecting the overall Commission’s performance in its different directorates, in terms of budget, programme’s execution and conformity to plans;
10. Provides support to the ODG in following up on the implementation on the major statutory programmes run by the Commission as well as its action plans.
11. Leads and supervises the compilation of information and manages the presentation of quarterly activity progress reports on thematic areas for consideration by the Director General
12. Contributes in the preparation/drafting of financial rules and regulations, policies, procedures and processes
12. Contribuer à la préparation/rédaction des règlements, politiques, procédures et processus relatifs aux finances ;
13. Examiner et présenter des recommandations pour approbation par le Directeur général, afin d’orienter les plans d’action proposés par les Départements ;
14. Aider le Bureau à mettre en place/préparer ou améliorer les processus et procédures de travail, en assurant leur codification et leur formalisation sous forme de manuels ;
15. Assurer la bonne mise en œuvre en interne des manuels de processus et de procédures au niveau du Bureau et de la Commission, en coordination avec les Départements concernés ; permettre la création d’une synergie entre l’orientation stratégique et les opérations des Départements techniques, tout en veillant à éviter la duplication des programmes ;
16. Fournir un soutien technique au Bureau du Directeur général dans l’examen des avis juridiques liés aux opérations des Départements de portefeuille, conseiller sur la mise en œuvre des documents juridiques, réglementaires ou conventionnels initiés par la Commission et soumis à la signature du Président ;
17. Passer en revue les sujets liés aux accords et conventions qui concernent la Commission et ses services et conseiller le Directeur général à ce sujet ;
18. Conseiller le Directeur général et préparer des propositions de développement du personnel en vue d’assurer le renforcement des capacités du personnel des Départements de portefeuille qui peuvent les aider à remplir leurs mandats ; s’engager avec le(s) Département(s) de portefeuille concerné(s) et produire des rapports ;
19. Assurer le bon fonctionnement des systèmes de travail centralisés et décentralisés de la CUA, en interne au siège de la CUA, dans les bureaux/organes hors du siège et entre ces derniers, ainsi que dans les institutions/organisations partenaires externes et les projets connexes.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Master’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Finance, Economics, Law, Finance, Management. International Relations or a related field from a recognized institution plus twelve (12) years of relevant professional experience with at least seven (7) years served in a senior management or advisory role preferably in an inter-governmental organization or national government/public service, international or regional institution, and a minimum of five (5) years supervisory experience
• Experience in handling of portfolio departments and related files at strategic level in either public or private organizations is required.
• Experience in formulating and improving working methods, systems and processes. Knowledge and understanding of policies, standards and processes
• Qualification in Project Management will be an added advantage
• Leadership and management skills
• Research and analytical skills
• Interpersonal and negotiation skills
• Planning and organizing skills
• Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, standards and processes
• Communication, presentation and report writing skills
• Knowledge in the use of Microsoft Office suite (Powerpoint, word, excel, infographics etc) and AU computer software systems
• Ability to actively seek, identify and apply appropriate technology to improve programme delivery
• Ability to work in teams and in a multi-cultural setting (political and diplomatic work environment)
• Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (Arabic, English, French, , Portuguese and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
Strategic Perspective:Developing Others:Change Management:Managing Risk:
Building relationships:Foster Accountability Culture:Learning Orientation:Communicating with impact:
Conceptual thinking:Job Knowledge and information sharing:Drive for result:Fosters Innovation:
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be made not later than 28 February 2022.
Requisition ID: 985
APPLY at https://career2.successfactors.eu/careers?company=africanuni
5 total views, 5 views today